The high-level event on women’s empowerment and sustainable development took place in Riga, Latvia, on 2 March. The event was jointly hosted by the European Commission and the Latvian Ministry of Foreign Affairs as part of the European Year for Development. It aimed to identify possible solutions for ensuring women’s equal rights and access to the market and economic resources and for unlocking women’s economic potential.
We produced the conference background note, in which gender expert Helen O’Connell considered the following key issues:
- why gender equality and women and girls’ rights matter in development;
- where gender equality and women’s empowerment stand in development goals and frameworks;
- the challenges for women’s economic empowerment;
- four strategic interventions to empower women economically; and
- the EU’s role in promoting gender equality and women’s empowerment in global development.